CMS History

CMS History
CMS History – Reflecting On Our Past & Racing Ahead

Looking back, the Canadian Motor Speedway has made precedent-setting progress during the last 8 years of its pre-development stage. From the time our initial engineering studies began in 2007 to our historic re-zoning and OMB approvals in 2012, CMS has now entered its final stage of development known as Detailed Site Planning Submission and Approval. Undoubtedly, the planning process in Ontario is a long and arduous journey but we continue to stay the course because we believe in Fort Erie and the potential our “world class” facility will yield for many years to come. We view many of the delays we have faced with some positivity as it has allowed us to cultivate lasting corporate partnerships within the motor sports, construction, and technology driven industries that will create incredible value for the facility as it moves to completion and beyond.

For you history buffs out there, on July 1st back in 1952, the first NASCAR competition outside of the U.S. was held in Stamford Park, Ontario, near Niagara Falls where Buddy Shuman won a 200-lap race on a half-mile (800 m) dirt track. Racing has always been a part of our past; now let’s make some new history with the launch of our state of the art, environmentally responsible, and fan-centric facility – Canadian Motor Speedway.

CMS would like to take this opportunity to thank Jeff Gordon Inc., Hendrick Motorsports, Aecon, McMaster University’s Faculty of Engineering and the millions of fans we like to call CMS Nation for supporting us every step of the way.